Asian Peanut Noodles with Chicken, Lightened Up is delicious, made with stir fried chicken strips, rice noodles, scallions, carrots, broccoli slaw, bean sprouts in a spicy peanut sauce. A winning combination of spicy, crunchy, sweet and salty will tantalize your taste buds.
This dish was so popular on my blog I included it in my first cookbook, The Skinnytaste Cookbook (photo credit above Penny De Los Santos). To lighten up this dish, increasing the vegetables was a must, so I loaded this with plenty of noodle-sized vegetables to eat along with the rice noodles.
Have you tried Better’n Peanut Butter? I’m a huge fan, it’s low fat and tastes really good, sold at Trader Joe’s and healthy food stores, here’s the link to find the nearest store near you. If you’ve tried it let me know what you think. If you can’t find it, regular peanut butter will do, you will have to adjust the macros.
Rice sticks or rice noodles can be found in the Asian section of your supermarket and make this a gluten free dish. If you can’t find rice noodles, udon noodles or even linguini would work. Or skip the noodles and use spiralized veggies instead (sweet potatoes would be great here). Although there’s a long list of ingredients, it really comes together quite quickly. I bought pre-shredded carrots and broccoli slaw to help speed things up. Try this with shrimp or tofu for vegetarians!
Asian Peanut Noodles with Chicken – Lightened Up
- 14.5 oz reduced sodium chicken broth
- 5 tbsp better’n peanut butter
- 1 tbsp Sriracha chili sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp soy sauce (use Tamari for gluten free)
- 1 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
For the chicken:
- 16 oz chicken breast, cut into thin strips
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 tbsp Sriracha chili sauce (more or less to taste)
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tbsp soy sauce (use Tamari for gluten free)
- 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
- 8 oz rice noodles
- 3/4 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 -1/4 cups shredded carrots
- 1- 1/4 cups cup shredded broccoli slaw
- 1 cup bean bean sprouts
- 2 tbsp chopped peanuts
- 1 lime, sliced
- cilantro for garnish (optional)
- For the peanut sauce: Combine 1 cup chicken broth, peanut butter, sriracha, honey, 2 tbsp soy sauce, ginger, and 3 cloves crushed garlic in a small saucepan and simmer over medium-low heat stirring occasionally until sauce becomes smooth and well blended, about 5-10 minutes. Set aside.
- Boil water for the noodles cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper, sriracha, lime, garlic, ginger and soy sauce.
- Heat a large skillet or wok until hot. Add oil and sauté chicken on high heat until cooked through, about 2-3 minutes; remove from heat and set aside.
- Add 2 cloves crushed garlic, scallions, carrots, broccoli slaw and/or bean sprouts and salt, sauté until tender crisp, about 1-2 minutes.
- Drain noodles and toss with peanut sauce and additional chicken broth if needed to loosen the sauce. When chicken is cooked, toss with noodles.
- Divide noodles and chicken between 6 bowls, top with sauteed vegetables, bean sprouts, chopped peanuts (or you can toss everything together to hide the vegetables so your family members don’t push them aside!) and garnish with cilantro and lime wedges.
Yield: 6 Servings, Serving Size: 1 1/3 cups
- Amount Per Serving:
- Smart Points: 9
- Points +: 8
- Calories: 359
- Total Fat: 6g
- Saturated Fat: g
- Cholesterol: 48mg
- Sodium: 670mg
- Carbohydrates: 53g
- Fiber: 4g
- Sugar: 9g
- Protein: 22g